Home

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Where has the year gone

Do you ever just ask yourself that question. It seems the older I get the faster time goes by, I am not sure why it feels that way. I have a few sessions I could post photos from, but our clients are giving them as Christmas gifts, so I don't want to spoil the surprise :)

This has been a year of highs and lows, the highs would be the great relationships we have continued to build with all of you. We so much appreciate all of our clients, many of whom have become friends. The low would be the decline in health of my mom and her too quick passing on December 3rd.

I tried to prepare myself for that day, but had no idea how my heart would break. Even now it sometimes seems like a dream to me. I walk around in a half daze a lot of the time, so if I have not replied to your email or phone call, that is the reason why. It has been good keeping busy though, so thanks for the sessions, orders and such to keep my mind occupied.

I did actually laugh and feel like myself for about two minutes yesterday, so I know the real me is in there somewhere and will eventually come out. For those of you who didn't know my mom, she was wonderful. I am so thankful that I have taken portraits of her the last couple of years. I really believe what I say, "One Life, Document It, No Regrets", it truly has more meaning to me now.

Here's a few memories of mom...

At Stefanie's wedding
A visit to the lake house Teaching us how to make home made noodles
With Ava this April
The four generations My closing thoughts are... be thankful for each moment you have with your family and loved ones. Cherish each day as if it was your last!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's good Kellie. I almost cried. I am sorry for your lost of your mother and my hearts are with you and your family.
I am so happy and thankful that you did my husband and I wedding. Thank you again and I look forward to seeing them soon. Also I look forward having my baby boy soon and taking good pictures and having you be a big part of that.
Thank you again. Leah and Kent North

Jim said...

Hi, Kellie. I found you through the "Next Blog" portal of the BLOGGER platform. I've never really clicked on that thing other than a couple weeks ago to see how it works; but for some reason, I was actually compelled to click on it this time.

Of course, I don't know you, but I just wanted to offer my empathy and such for the recent passing of your mother. My own Mom turned 88 years old on December 26 and had a very long life of remarkably good health until just about a year ago.

The problem with factors that have tended to deteriorate her health rapidly in recent months have primarily been (in my opinion) all of the narcotic, opiate-based pain killers she's been on for some 15 years now due to chronic back pain that started at age 69 and that are finally taking their toll in a quick way. Now lately she is on MORPHINE.

I'm confident it did not have to be this way. The drugs have been killing her for a long time; and I know the rest of my (greatly wealthy) family members are too busy to really care about their mother other than to think she's better of if she's gone. Even my eldest brother (the poor one) blurted out to me for no reason this past May while she was in the hospital for stopped up bowels (DUE TO the opiate drugs) that, "Dorth has lived long enough." (Her name is Dorothy.)

I have a sister with an estimated net worth of not less than $200-million; then another brother worth between $20- and $40-million; a niece who is worth at least several million and who works as a Lieutenant firefighter along with her husband who is a Captain; and then her brother, my nephew, is the favorite grandson to his 88-year-old grandfather who retired with between $500-million and a BILLION dollars as a successful multi-national business owner. The nephew owns a manufacturing business.

All that my Mother potentially ever needed was a $20,000 elective surgery operation in the form of a very reasonably safe and often effective procedure known as minimally-invasive laser spine surgery to perhaps correct her spinal problem, which is probably nothing more than a pinched nerve based on her particular symptoms.

But 20 grand in chump change for a host of mega millionaires has always apparently been too much spare shopping money to spend on a mother and a grandmother and a great grandmother who has been suffering in pain for 20 years. Such elective surgery may or may not work, but of course, a lot of the idea is supposed to be that it's the thought that counts. But I don't believe anyone would have ever spent the money even if the surgery could have been guaranteed to work.

I am the youngest at 48 and am a half sibling to the rest. Growing up under the shadow of a generally poor hippie brother and his hippie friends during the "Hippie Generation," marijuana was a part of my life, and my Mother's life, since I was 8 years old. I don't use pot anymore, but I didn't actually quit completely until I was 40; and my Mother didn't quit using pot until she was 69, which interestingly enough, was the same year that her back started to hurt.
Recently, I had been trying to get her a prescription to medical marijuana to replace the morphine, but the major drawback there is that Oregon (where my Mother lives in an assisted care facility) does not yet have dispensaries for medical pot; although that option is going to be attempted at being placed on the Oregon ballot for this coming election period by way of a petition drive. I can’t grow the pot for her and no one else will grow it for her.

I hope I haven't wigged you out with this lengthy diatribe here, because I am really just trying to reach out to a stranger in this case in scrambling to prepare myself emotionally by way of venting my frustration for this ideal where my Mother is effectively being "put to sleep."

Take care, my friend, and God bless.